Growing up, my favourite meal was homemade macaroni and cheese. It had four ingredients: boiled elbow noodles, shredded cheddar, skim milk poured all over everything, and crushed potato chips on top. Talk about simple. And man, what an overload of dairy.
I’ve made a recipe to share with you that has the comfort food spirit of my childhood favourite, but with a little more flavour and zero animal products. Ooey, gooey, creamy, cheezy. This is my first follow up to my Vegan Cheeze post, and uses Daiya shredded Pepperjack and some Kick-Ace cheddar spread. This makes a large batch – be sure to use a very deep 9×9 dish, or a larger casserole dish will also work. It is amazing as leftovers, too.
Amazing Vegan Mac – An original recipe by Agent Minty
- 3 cups dried elbow macaroni
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp margarine
- 2.5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup plus 2/3 cup almond or other non-dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup prepared Kick Ace cheddar
- 1/3 cup plus 2/3 cup Daiya Pepperjack shreds
- 1/4 cup parsley flakes
- Optional: a handful of rippled potato chips
- Preheat oven to 400F and generously spray your casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook macaroni until al dente, while preparing the sauce.
- Melt the margarine and oil together in a heavy-bottomed pot on medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour and stir vigorously until it starts to foam and thicken slightly.
- Gently sprinkle in a few spoonfuls of the wine and whisk vigorously until combined with the paste.
- Drizzle in the remaining wine while whisking vigorously.
- Stir in 1 cup of milk while continuing to whisk.
- Take the pot off of the heat and whisk in the kick-ace cheddar and 1/3 cup of the daiya shreds.
- Return to medium-low heat and stir until cheezes are melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in drained, cooked noodles.
- Fill casserole dish with alternating layers of 1/3 of cheezy noodles, 1/3 cup reserved daiya, and 1 Tablespoon of parmesan, until all are done.
- Bake in centre of oven for one hour.
- Top casserole with crushed potato chips, if desired.
- Broil casserole for 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool out of the oven for at least 5 minutes before serving.